Monday, June 7

I Got My Driving From...



Today, I discovered what I expect to be my biggest obstacle this coming summer. I definitely got my directions from my Dad. I'm not saying this in a derogatory manner at all. If I were, I would basically be insulting myself. My dad is one the biggest influences in my life, and I turn to him for advice, and good company regularly. I appreciate my Dad more than anything.

Back to my directions, this morning, everyone gathered for devotions at 9 am, and we were out the door by 10. From 10-5, we drove. When I say, we drove, I really mean that we drove. From 10-5. We got an hour break for lunch, and two quick tours of sites we'll frequent this summer. If you do the math, with the amount of time that we spent in the car, I we could have almost made it to Boston.

The picture on the right is essentially, what I saw today. As for what I learned...I learned that "I have many talents...directions just isn't one of them." That will have to be my morale booster this summer, I'll just make sure to not share it with groups as they arrive. My mom is incredible at directions. She has this amazing ability to get anywhere...on time. If you tell Mom where you need to be, she will get you there 100% of the time. Clearly, I did not grab those genes.

As for tomorrow, I'm lucky enough to be part of a smaller group that gets to practice our driving around the city. My outlook right now is, if directions is the scariest obstacle I've had up to this point, I'm in pretty good shape. I'm going to be looking over my map, and I will be extra careful as groups arrive.

Needless to say, one thing is sure...the 'passing of directions' from Mom to Daughter just did not take place. However, other things did, and I"m grateful for the other genes I am lucky enough to have gotten, from both Mom and Dad...I wouldn't trade those genes for directions any day :)

2 comments:

  1. I like to think that my mind is occupied with lofty thoughts that I can't afford to pay attention to simple things like directions - "right", "left"? It's the journey that counts, not the destination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have inherited your monther's gene for writing. Look forward to hearing about your experiences this summer.

    ReplyDelete