Monday, July 5

The Little Things




Our staff meetings are usually on Sunday afternoons at 2 pm, and we meet until groups start to arrive around 4 pm. This week, after our official staff meeting was over, I found out that I don't have a group (that story calls for another post :). BUT, I did get a wonderful surprise at the same time.

In the picture at the top of this post, is...another picture. If you look closely, it's a framed picture with writing around the framework. The picture is me, stuck in the middle of my Texas group from last week, sitting in front of Ben's Chili Bowl. This picture was taken on our free night. Free night, last week was on Thursday night. This is usually a time when the youth group will go out into the city to have a turn as tourists. It's also a time for the CSM to have a night to relax, and 'recharge' ourselves.

However, last week, I enjoyed this group so much that, when they asked if I would spend my free night with them, I had to say yes. They went to Ben's for dinner, and I joined, with one of the other hosts from the staff this summer. This dinner was one of my favorite memories from this summer so far. There were 16 of us total, and I think at least half of us laughed so hard we cried. There were no big lessons learned, or any specific 'God-moments.' It was just a time of joy and celebration. It was such a pure demonstration to me of Christian community, where we could laugh and enjoy a GREAT meal together. At the end of the meal, we took a group picture in front of Ben's, but I never thought I'd be able to see that picture.

After our staff meeting, I heard voices in our hallway. I walked out to the hallway, and my group was there. They had stayed the weekend to celebrate the 4th of July, and I met up with them yesterday to spend more time with them. Today, they came back to the church to drop off this picture. They told me that they had printed up the picture and signed the frame so that I could remember my week with them.

This was such a small act of kindness. But, I can't explain how much it really meant to me. I was so moved that they would put this effort in. I wouldn't have wanted any other gift from them. I didn't expect this frame, but I can promise I will cherish it. It was such an encouragement to me to have a physical reminder of my group from Texas. Their words of encouragement were amazing to me. All that I could respond with was a thank you, and a promise that this frame will DEFINITELY be going up in my dorm :)

No comments:

Post a Comment