Tuesday, July 6

(Yet Another) Curveball

I am absolutely convinced that I might be one of God's biggest amusements. Let me explain :)

This week, I don't have a group. I'm still technically 'on-call,' and my official title is 'a floater.' What does this entail? There are 3 hosts at Star (the church we're staying at) this week, and they are co-hosting one big group from Michigan. There are 3 more hosts that are living at different CSM sites in the city and hosting there own groups. Then there's Ashley and I. We are still living at Star. We just don't have groups that we can host and bring around the city.

When I was first informed that I had the week (for the most part) off, I was kind of flustered. I signed up to work this summer. I didn't know what I was going to do with my next 5 days. I am comfortable hosting, and I love my job. It makes me excited, and even though there's always twists and turns, I know what to expect. Yet again, I became comfortable with where I was, and God stripped me of that.

You'd think I would have learned my lesson by now. As I go about this coming week, I don't really know what to expect. I don't have a schedule planned out for me. I won't have the luxury of knowing what work sites I will be at during any given day. I do know this is a week where I will learn. I also know that God had this planned all along. He knew that I would become comfortable hosting groups. He also knew that he would have to give me a week without a group, so that I could be reminded of why I am here.

I'm not here to serve the groups that I host. I'm not even here to serve the city of Washington DC. I'm here to serve my God. The context of serving him, and the people I serve may change at any given instance, but the God I am serving will remain constant. That is a promise I can speak of and know will remain true. God has called me to serve him, and in doing that, he has called me to serve those that are closest to me. Last week, this meant that I was supposed to serve my Texas group, and the sites I attended. This week, I am called to spend time with God and serve the staff. They are who God has placed closest to me for this time, and they are who I will serve.

To sum it up, God is ironic, and never bores me. I'm ALWAYS learning from him. On the flip side, I'm sure my reactions never bore him either :)

No comments:

Post a Comment