Wednesday, July 7

My Reality Check



About two months ago, I found out that I would be working in DC this summer. After I had gotten home from college for the summer, I was driving around with my mom one day. I realized I would be in DC for the 4th of July and turned to ask my mom what I should do to celebrate the holiday. She patiently reminded me that I would be IN the nations capital to celebrate our nations independence, and it might be appropriate to celebrate the holiday in the city. Clearly...I don't always think before I speak :)

This past weekend, I finally got that opportunity to be in DC for the 4th. Incase I didn't realize before...that specific holiday is kind of a big deal around here :) The picture on the right is a picture I took from my phone of the fireworks we watched on the National Mall. This was one of the smaller fireworks. All I can say is that the entire experience was breathtaking. There were festivals going on, the Smithsonian hours were extended, the Capitol hosted a concert that was great and the day concluded with fireworks over the Lincoln Memorial that were (literally) larger than the Washington Monument. After serving in the city, it was such a great break to be able to be a tourist and enjoy the festivities that the city provided.

After the concert at the Capitol, most of the staff took a public bus back to the church. We were sitting at the bus stop and laughing so hard, I almost cried. As we were enjoying this time, I looked about a hundred feet to my left. It was night time, and at first, I only saw a highway overpass. When I did a double-take, I saw movement under the overpass. Looking closely, I noticed a man moving around. All of a sudden, I understood. He was preparing his bed for the night. He had a bed that he was going to lay on, and he was moving his makeshift pillows to create a more comfortable area where he could rest his head.

As I took this in, my heart broke. All of the celebrations that we had just enjoyed were pushed to the back of my mind, and I was so sad for this man. It was a visual I don't think I will forget. My thoughts as I reflected on this sight were that I could not be sad. I could only learn from this visual. It was a remarkable lesson to me that my ministry should not ever take a break. It is not wrong for me to enjoy a holiday. It is also not right for me to live irresponsibly with the knowledge I now have of the injustice that daily takes place. I was allowed a break on the fourth to enjoy the company of the staff and friends I am allowed to work with this summer. As much as God allowed that time for me, and enjoyed our fellowship, I am confident that his heart also broke as he watched that man prepare his bed that night.

Needless to say, I know that I can not live with regret at the sight that I saw. I can learn from it, and be appreciative that God selected me at that moment to teach me a lesson. It is something I greatly appreciated and will be intentional in not forgetting.

No comments:

Post a Comment