Thursday, June 3

My Urban Plunge



Today's challenge for our staff was easy to understand and difficult to practice. The formal title of this challenge was "The Urban Plunge." It was a staff experience that will allow us to warn our groups this summer that the Urban Plunge is possible to live through.

The objective? We were in 4 groups of 2 people. Each person was allotted $2 ($4 per group if you joined your money together), and one round trip on the Public Bus to our separate destinations where we would have 3 hours. During the 3 hours, and with our collective $4, we were supposed to feed ourselves dinner, feed one more person, buy them a pair of socks, discover how we could obtain medical aid if we were homeless, and figure out the closest shelter to our given location.

Just reading the directions/limitations can help to understand the challenges we faced. Essentially, the plunge was as difficult as it sounds. However, we accomplished our tasks, ate a hardy meal, fed 5 homeless men (with the aid of a mobile soup kitchen), and found the medical aid. All I can say is, I have it easy.

A lot of this experience can't be placed into words, however, I want the blog entry so that when I read this posts after the summer, I can jog my memory of the experience that I had this evening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment