Friday, June 4

What Do God and Jack Bauer Have in Common?



Before I answer the question proposed in the title of this blog, I wanted to mention our first service project :) So far, this week has consisted of meetings. Up until today, we've been working out the 'nuts and bolts' of CSM and learning exactly what our job is going to be this summer. I'm sure that halfway through the summer, sitting in an air conditioned room for a meeting will sound appealing. But my eager, youthful mentality is just antsy to start right now. Our service opportunity was at a location called Martha's Table. It serves to provide emergency dinners to homeless people 365 days a year, offers a daycare, after-school program, and clothing/thrift shop. Basically, it's the over-achiever of ministry sites. It blew me away with all that they do. I had a blast and honestly, I can't wait to go back.

As for my question, let me preface it with this. 24 was one of my favorite shows growing up. One of the only things better than growing up and watching 24, was growing up and watching 24 with Dad, Josh and I. For some reason, we all felt that we were called to work as commentators to Jack's every move. The best commentaries always came when Jack was in the worst position possible. Whether he was about to be tortured, tied up in the back of a truck or all of his communication with CTU was cut off, Josh or Dad would always chirp in with, "He's Jack...obviously he has them right where he wants them."

What does Jesus have to do with this? We had a little bit of time today to breathe. During that time, I was thinking and I realized that in a (maybe cheesy) way, Jesus' attitude towards me must be a little like Jack Bauer's attitude. I can't even think about how many times he's told me to do one thing, so out of stubbornness, I've done the exact opposite. Regardless, though he hasn't given up on me.

The best part about it, is that being in DC this summer, I'm so confident that God finally has me, "right where he wants me." I've definitely put up a fight, and I've most certainly made his life difficult. But, despite all the obstacles and defiance I've pushed against God, he somehow made sure that he got me to DC this summer. The peace I have being here, the energy that I have in my eagerness to serve, and the way that I have been able to wake up confident that God has a plan for my day all attest to that. It doesn't mean I know where I'm going. It just means that I know that right now, I'm where I'm supposed to be :)

No comments:

Post a Comment